Your step by step guide to get your Management Information System data into SchoolsBuddy
Manual Import Template
You will need to use our template to produce a CSV file of all your relevant school data. To start we need one CSV for pupils with parents details included on the same CSV.
Please download the Student_Import_Template.csv attachment which can be found at the bottom of this article.
Using the Student Template
Having extracted the data from your school MIS/SIS (Management Information System) please make sure it is formatted for SchoolsBuddy to import correctly:
- Pupil First Name and Last Name, Date of Birth and Gender are required fields
- Date of Birth format must be: DD/MM/YYYY
- Gender format must be: M or F
- If you already have an MIS (Management Information System), please supply your MIS ID
- If you wish to add external students, that need a login to access your activity programme, the MIS ID field can be left blank
- Class/Years/Grades must be written the same and appear as you would like them displayed in SchoolsBuddy e.g. not Grade1 and Grade 1 - all spaces should be the same
- All emails must be valid, leave blank if no email exists
- Mobile phone numbers can be supplied in all formats, with or without country code. However, if you are sending SMS messages to international phone numbers with SchoolsBuddy these must include the country code (for example: +44). We recommend using the country code for all numbers, for example: +447777 123456
- All students should ideally have at least one parent on the template. The maximum number of parent contacts per student is 2, but you can manually add more parent contacts in Schoolsbuddy if needed.
- Parents must have either first name and last name or initials in the name fields - please do not leave either field blank. Some automated email communications will display full name, for example: “Dear John Doe”
- Don't use commas in names, as the file will be imported in CSV format
- The sheet must be saved in CSV UTF-8 format so that it supports ASCII characters (characters with accents).
Staff can be added manually as required in SchoolsBuddy, see this guide for more information. However, if you wish to import a large group of staff when you are setting up SchoolsBuddy we will send you a Staff Import Template.
Basic data required will be first name, last name, and email address. The sheet must be saved in CSV UTF-8 format (as above) so that it supports ASCII characters (characters with accents).
If you have external staff who do not have your school domain email address but that you would like to be able to receive communications, organise trips etc. for example Football Club Staff, you can create them directly in SchoolsBuddy.
Sending us your Data
Once you have completed the spreadsheet(s) please send it/them to us by attaching them to this online form link.
We will carry out a manual import and will contact you to resolve any queries about the data supplied.
Q: What if we need to update any student /parent/ staff details?
A: Updates can be made within the Reception > Users section of SchoolsBuddy.
Q: What happens when students or staff leave?
A: An Organisation Super Admin user will need to delete student, parent and staff accounts manually in SchoolsBuddy.
Q: Can SchoolsBuddy import Dietary Needs?
A: No, unfortunately Dietary needs cannot be imported currently. SchoolsBuddy offers the option to create a form to collect the information from parents as they book activities in SchoolsBuddy.
Q: Can SchoolsBuddy import Medical information?
A: Medical information can be entered directly into SchoolsBuddy in the Reception > Users section. If you have a lot of records, please contact us to inquire about other options. SchoolsBuddy offer the option to import information or create a form to collect information from parents as they book in SchoolsBuddy.
Q: Can SchoolsBuddy import other information?
A: SchoolsBuddy isn't designed for general data storage but if there is information you require to be available to teachers, please contact us to discuss your needs.