Events can be created in two ways in SchoolsBuddy. For help creating Sporting Fixtures such as a football match versus another school, please click here.
- From the 'Organising' tab. These events allow sending consent requests to the student/parent. It can also be used for events that are mandatory and need no consent/sign-up.
- From within the 'Activities & Clubs Admin/Bookings Tab'. Created by a staff member where the parent/student can self-select and book themselves onto the event. This should also be used if you require upfront payment.
This article explains the first option, if you are happy to create events where parents can self-select their children onto the events and activities please click here to see how to set this up.
An example of events whereby you require parent consents can be a sporting fixture or school trip. Fees can also be charged at the point of parents giving consent.
- Click the 'Organising' tab
- Click the 'Add Event' tab
- Pick an event type from the list (these may be labelled differently due to your school's preferences). For this example, we will select Practice.
- When selected, you will be taken to the event creation page where you can select your communication preference.
Communication preference dictates how a parent/student receives event invitations and notifications.
Send Availability/Consent Requests with the manual selection:
- Request consent from the parents.
- Parents advise availability and give consent.
- Manually choose the students attending the event from those who have provided consent.
- Notify the selected students/parents.
Send Availability/Consent Requests with auto selection:
- Request consent from the parents
- Students will be automatically added to the register once consent is given.
- No further selection is required.
Notify only (without Availability Requests)
- Notify selected students from a group of an event (without requesting consent).
- This will populate the diaries of the parents and students but will not send an email notification to the parent
Auto-notify (without Availability Requests)
- Notify all students in a group for an event (without requesting consent).
- This will populate the diaries of the parents and students but will not send an email notification
- Send Availability/Consent Requests with the manual selection:
- Check the parental consent section. Please note, if either Notify Only or Auto-notify is selected as the Communication Preference, the parental consent required option disappears.
Only uncheck the 'Parental Consent Required' box if you wish to send the invite to students only and not the parents.
- If you wish to add a fee for the event/s, click yes and type the fee into the box displayed. If there is no fee, select No.
PLEASE NOTE: When you add fees in this type of setup, the fees are charged at the point of selection. Therefore, you would normally choose 'Send availability/Consent requests with auto selection' as the communication method so fees are charged to the students' account as soon as the parent gives consent.
- Choose the event type. You are also able to change that Event type option here.
- Select the Attendees and add the Title
- Who is invited: Select either a group or year/grade
- For Who: Select the corresponding group or year/grade
Title: Add event name
- Complete the event details
When and Where
- From: When the event starts (date & time)
- To: When the event ends (date time) PLEASE NOTE: This must be a singular session. If the event repeats this is filled in later.
- Venue: Either Home or Away
- Where: Either select the location from the drop-down bar or create a location using the Add feature
- Meeting at: Complete the location and meeting time, again a new venue can be added here.
- Add any vital or additional information for the event into the text boxes.
- If the event is not a one-off and is repeating, fill in the details. However, this option will only be available if either Notify Only or Auto-Notify was selected as the Communication Preference, not if Consent is required.
- Select, the Event Organiser. This will be the lead organiser of the event (you can create events for other staff users)
- When the correct details have been entered click the green 'Save' tab.
- Now the event has been created, you will be taken to the event organising screen.
- Pupils must now be invited or notified. To do this, select the 'Availability/Consent' tab.
- From this screen you can either invite all pupils, invite selected pupils or manually select the event preferences for the pupil. Once you have made your selection click the green 'Save/Send' tab.
If you don't need consent, for example if you are organising the event and your own child is included, you can click 'Yes' to confirm the child without an email invitation.
- When the pupil is invited the pupil/parent will receive an event invitation via email as shown in the example below:
- When a parent logs in, they will see the invite in the Invitations area on their home page.
- Once Respond has been selected, they will be taken to the Details page where they can Decline or Give consent.
- The availability will update within the event information once parents have accepted or declined.
- If you have chosen manual selection, you can make the selections for the event by clicking the 'Selection' tab section in the event organising screen.
- Once you have selected the relevant students, click Notify.
- The parents of the selected students will receive an Event Selection confirmed email:
- To send updates out before the event to the parents of the selected students, go to the event from the Registers/Events page and click on Send Communication. Use Select Recipients to choose who to include in your communication (in this example we are adding all members) and click the green 'continue' button.
On the next page you will be able to complete the process by clicking the green 'send' button
Example email to parent:
- In the post Event section you can send an event report out to parents, if required.